Command and Conquer Generals is an American real-time strategy game that was made by EA Pacific, and it was released on February 10, 2003. Due to the game's negative portrayal of China and due to its "realistic warlike elements", the game was censored in China and Germany, the latter also due to the imminent war in Iraq.
Censorship[edit | edit source]
Germany Censorship[edit | edit source]
The local version specifically for release in Germany is titled Command & Conquer: Generäle. The original uncensored version was banned because of the imminent start of the Iraq War at the time.
- The intro was removed due to real-life political references.
- In the German release every human in the game was changed to a robot/cyborg.
- USA was renamed to the Western Alliance.
- The last USA mission's victory video was removed.
- China was renamed to the Asian Pact.
- The last China mission's victory video was removed.
- The GLA was renamed IBG.
- The last GLA mission's victory video was removed.
- The city of "Baghdad" was changed to "Twin Sword City".
- The name "Operation: Final Justice" was changed to "'Zone: Desertsimulation Slaughter of the Machines".
- Any scene that shows civilians was modified for the German release. In the German version, the civilians were digitally removed.
- The suicide bomber unit was modified for the German release. In the German version, the unit is a rolling bomb.
- The GLA mission "Almaty Supply Raid" was removed from the German release.
China Censorship[edit | edit source]
- The game was banned in China due to it portraying a negative image of China's army, and due to the game "smearing China's national image".
Where to find it uncensored[edit | edit source]
Every other country has the game completely uncensored.