EarthBound is a Japanese RPG that was developed by Ape and HAL Laboratory and the game was published by Nintendo. The video game was released on August 27, 1994. Due to Nintendo America's strict censorship policies alcohol/ drug references were removed and violence was toned down.
- All bars were renamed cafe.
- All references to alcohol were changed to coffee
- Most of the drug stores were renamed shop.
- The Happy Happyism members sprites were modified for the American release. In the American version the HH on their foreheads were digitally removed. In order to make them appear less like the KKK.
- The scene where you hear Pokey and Picky's father punishing them was modified for the American release. In the uncensored version the sound effect is a spanking sound effect, in the American version the sound effect is a cartoonish bonk.
- The line "I was drunk, so I accidentally knocked on the wall instead of the bathroom door." was changed to "I was in the middle of a caffine buzz and I had to get to the bathroom fast..."
- The scene that shows Ness visting Magicant was modified for the American release. In the American version Ness is wearing clothes
Where to find it uncensoredEdit
The Japanese and European versions were completely uncensored.