Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a Japanese anime that was made by Bones and released on April 5, 2009 – July 4, 2010. The Funimation English dub toned down some of the violence and removed some of the "offensive" religious references.
Censorship[edit | edit source]
International Censorship[edit | edit source]
(The Funimation English Dub changes nearly every line I will only record lines that were censored.)
- Episode 1
- The scene that shows the Ice Alchemist freezing one of the soldiers was modified for the Funimation dub. In the uncensored version the screaming is louder. (in the funimation dub it is a lot quieter and doesn't really sound like he is in pain)
- The scene where Edward says "You...just taken your first step towards hell." it was changed to "You know....there are some lines you really shouldn't cross."
- Episode 3
- This is a general edit often in the episode: In the episode characters would just say God while in the dub they either say Leto or the Sun God Leto or some other form of that phrase.
- The scene where Rose says "People Aren't things! Yours words are blasphemy against the Creator your going to occur Heaven's wrath." it was changed to "No that's blasphemy. People...we are all children of God created in his image."
- The scene where Edward says "It's ironic really that we scientists, who do not need God, are in a certain sense the closest ones to being gods." it was changed to "It's ironic really, that through the application of science we have in many ways been given the power to play God." (I know there is a argument that can be made for this line being censorship or just localization I included it because the meaning is somewhat different.)
- The scene where Edward says "What's wrong pussycat? Get a good taste." it was changed to "What's wrong kitty? Get a good taste."
- The scene where Father Cornello says "Ridiculous! You fools, who would tread upon Gods domain! This time I will send you back to God for good!" it was changed to "Don't be absurd!? Why so you could use it for yourself please, if you fools are so ready to play God perhaps I should send you to meet him instead!"
- Episode 8
- The scene where Barry says "I enjoy killing so much I can't stand it." it was changed to "I can't control myself." (this could be due to localization I included it due to it kind of toning it down/changing the meaning a bit.)
- Episode 9
- The scene where Edward says "You're such a demon." it was changed to "You're a real jerk aren't ya."
- The scene where Hughes says "Hey, you kids, you try anything funny with my daughter, and you'll pay for it." it was changed to "Listen up boys, you try anything with my daughter and you'll answer to me.
- Episode 10
- The scene where Hughes says "You son of a bitch!" it was changed to "What the hell are you!?"
- Episode 11
- The scene where thug says "W-what God? Who needs-" it was changed to "You should be the one praying freak!"
- Episode 14
- The scene where one of the soldiers says "Now exterminate those monsters!" it was changed to "Now eliminate those freaks!" (I personally think eliminate makes the statement a bit softer then saying exterminate.)
- The scene where Roa "I also participated in the Ishvalan War of Extermination." it was changed to "The last time I saw you in action was the Ishvalan Civil War."
- The scene where Greed says "You bastard!" it was changed to Greed yelling.
- Episode 15
- The scene where Edward says "As soon as I called that bastard a closed eye idiot..." it was changed to "That's strange as soon as I insulted Lang this guy completely lost it."
- Episode 19
- The line "I love big boobs!" was changed to "I can't help it! I love them!"
- The line "Damn. Colonel, can you give me a light?" was changed to "Hey colonel mind giving me a light here."
- Episode 20
- The scene where Edward says "We'll knock that truth bastard flying, and pull your body out of there!" it was changed to "We'll knock that truth jerk on his butt, and then we're going to pull your body right out of that place!"
- Episode 26
- The line "How could he kidnap Shao May?! That ogre! That devil! That loincloth!" was changed "That suit of armor is going to pay big time! He stole Shao May from me! Kidnapped her! That creep!"
- Episode 33
- The scene where Scar says "I won't give you any time to pray to God." it was changed to "I'll deal with you just like how you dealt with him."
Where to find it uncensored[edit | edit source]
The original Japanese airing is uncensored.