Mr. Bean is a British sitcom created by Rowan Atkinson and Richard Curtis, produced by Tiger Aspect and starring Atkinson as the title character. The sitcom consists of 15 episodes that were co-written by Atkinson alongside Curtis and Robin Driscoll; for the pilot, it was co-written by Ben Elton. The series was originally broadcast on ITV, beginning with the pilot on 1 January 1990 and ending with "The Best Bits of Mr. Bean" on 15 December 1995. The series would spawn two theatrical feature-length films and an ongoing animated series.
Scenes from some episodes of both the original and animated series were censored in some international broadcasts of the series to be more suitable for younger viewers, notably in children's channels within the Southeast Asian territory such as Cartoon Network, Disney XD, and FamTV. The censored scenes contain either nudity, cruelty, violence, or painful/repulsive content.
- 1 Mr. Bean (live action series)
- 1.1 Episode 2: The Return of Mr. Bean
- 1.2 Episode 3: The Curse of Mr. Bean
- 1.3 Episode 4: Mr. Bean Goes to Town
- 1.4 Episode 6: Mr. Bean Rides Again
- 1.5 Episode 7: Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean
- 1.6 Episode 8: Mr. Bean in Room 426
- 1.7 Episode 9: Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean
- 1.8 Episode 11: Back to School Mr. Bean
- 1.9 Episode 12: Tee Off, Mr. Bean
- 1.10 Episode 13: Goodnight Mr. Bean
- 2 Mr. Bean (animated TV series)
Mr. Bean (live action series)
Episode 2: The Return of Mr. Bean
The scene in which Mr. Bean uses the escalators but does not move off when he reaches the top, was edited out on broadcasts for this episode on Nickelodeon UK. Disney Channel Asia cut the scene in which Bean becomes trapped in the bathroom stall with a customer, due to the half-nudity featured in the scene.
Episode 3: The Curse of Mr. Bean
The scene from Act 1 where Mr. Bean, after losing his swim shorts and having to leave the pool, accidentally exposes himself to a group of female swimmers was cut on broadcasts on the Philippine network ABS-CBN, Nickelodeon UK and Disney Channel.
Episode 4: Mr. Bean Goes to Town
The broadcast of the episode on the Philippine television ABS-CBN, Nickelodeon UK and Disney Channel, removed two segments in the television sketch – where when Bean pushes wires into the plug for the television, and removes his trousers and underwear and sat down in the chair completely naked by covering himself up privately.
Episode 6: Mr. Bean Rides Again
The part of Act 1 with the heart attack man was edited out when broadcast on Nickelodeon UK.
Episode 7: Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean
The scene where Mr. Bean buys the turkey was removed from broadcasts on Disney Channel (Southeast Asia). The scene where Irma Gobb helps Mr. Bean to get the turkey off was also edited out when broadcast on Nickelodeon UK.
Episode 8: Mr. Bean in Room 426
Some scenes of Bean naked, after talking off his clothes and accidentally locking himself out of his hotel room, during act 3 of the episode were edited out for broadcasts on Disney Channel and Philippine network ABS-CBN. This episode was never broadcast on Nickelodeon UK, possibly due to Bean being naked for the majority of the last act.
Episode 9: Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean
Following the death of Diana, Princess of Wales on 31 August 1997, the scene where Bean accidentally decapitates her picture while cutting a new serving hatch has been removed from some broadcasts, only showing Prince Charles, whose head Bean cuts through with the jigsaw, possibly as mark of respect.
Episode 11: Back to School Mr. Bean
Due to half-nudity featured in the scene, some portions were cut for the broadcasts on the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, namely the end of Act 1, when static electricity causes the lady's skirt reveal her legs and underwear, and shots involving the nude model in the art class, while ABS-CBN pixelated the model's back. On Boomerang Australia, the scene where he searches for his trousers was cut out.
Episode 12: Tee Off, Mr. Bean
The scenes where Bean drinks the laundry detergent and climbs into the dryer are usually removed from reruns on Nickelodeon (UK and Ireland), along with the scene where the car engine explodes due to the golf ball stuck inside the vehicle exhaust pipe.
Episode 13: Goodnight Mr. Bean
The scene where Bean turns the light off by shooting the incandescent light bulb with his pistol was cut from some broadcasts for this episode on Nickelodeon, due to its violent nature. The nude statue was blurred out when the episode is broadcast on FamTV (Southeast Asia).
Mr. Bean (animated TV series)
2002-04 series (on Disney XD Asia and Cartoon Network/Boomerang Asia)
- In some episodes like "Roadworks" and "Nurse!" where it slightly contains parts with Mr. Bean's posterior visible were cropped out or entirely cut.
- In the episode "Scaredy Bean", the scene where Mr. Bean accidentally spits out the spoon on the man's head along with the monster villain in the movie "The Glob" expelling the human skeleton out of its mouth was removed, due to the disgusting and disturbing content of the two scenes.
- On Boomerang airings of the episode "Young Bean", the scene where the Burglars (as children) were going to throw Scrapper (as a kitten) into a lake was cut due to animal cruelty.
- In the episode "Artful Bean" on Cartoon Network Asia, most scenes with the nude female painting were cropped out or entirely edited out but not after Mr. Bean puts the fake underwear on the painting. However, this episode was mostly uncensored on Disney XD Asia with only the scene where the nude female painting's posterior is zoomed in edited out.
2015 series (on Cartoon Network/Boomerang Asia)
- In the episode "Home Movie", the part where Mr. Bean pokes Irma with a fork was edited out due to its painful nature.
- In the episode "All You Can Eat", the parts where Mr. Bean stands up on the cart and the lady falling in the frozen section were edited out for unknown reasons.
- In the episode "Wrestling Bean", the part where the wrestler bonks Mr. Bean's head hard was cut due to its painful nature.
- In the episode "Bean Painting", the dream scene where the giant Mrs. Wicket vomited together with Mr. Bean's car parts was edited out due to its disgusting content.
- In the episode "The Cruise", the part where Mr. Bean was naked was edited out and it quickly cut to where he hid behind a rock due to nudity.