The Pokémon anime began airing on television on April 1, 1997 in Japan and in the United States on September 7, 1998. Over 1000 episodes have aired. When 4Kids was in charge of dubbing the first episodes, some of them were modified. This includes removing violence, sexuality, perceived racism (due to Jynx), and occasionally skipping some episodes (e.g. refusing to dub them).
One episode was banned internationally due to the seizures that caused from watching the episode.
- "Dennō Senshi Porygon" (Episode 38): Aired only once in Japan on December 16, 1997. Commonly referred to as the "seizure episode", it was banned internationally after hundreds of viewers suffered from seizures, nausea, vomiting, and other related symptoms. The anime went on hiatus for months. Porygon and its evolutions have not shown up in the anime since then. This episode is very difficult to find nowadays.
- Unaired Advanced Generation episode (Shaking Island Battle! Dojoach VS Namazun!!): Was originally intended to be broadcast on November 4, 2004. However, it was skipped in Japan because of large earthquakes on October 23. The move Earthquake and similar moves have not been seen in the anime since then.
- Unaired Best Wishes episodes (Rocket-dan VS Plasma-dan!): Originally intended to be episodes as a two-part story (on March 17 and 24, 2011). The episodes were skipped in Japan because of a great earthquake and tsunami off the eastern coast of Japan on March 11. These episodes' events were removed from the official continuity as of 2013.
- All scenes relating to Japanese culture were modified by 4Kids. Onigiri (Japanese rice ball) was referred to as a variety of names, from donuts to popcorn balls.
- Most scenes of violence between people were cut.
Skipped in the dub
The following episodes were skipped in the dub:
- "Beauty and The Beach" (Episode 18): The episode was skipped in the dub due to scenes of cross-dressed James wearing inflatable breasts. These scenes were cut from the dub and finally aired in the U.S. on June 24, 2000. Aired for a second time on August 18 that year, then never shown again since. It is omitted from home video and VOD services, including Netflix.
- "Miniryu no Densetsu" (Episode 35): The episode was skipped in the English dub due to a scene where a man points his revolver at Ash.
- "Holiday Hi-Jynx" (unnumbered): Episode was pulled from rotation due to Jynx's perceived racist imagery.
- "The Ice Cave!" (Episode 250): As Jynx appears in its original design in the episode, it in its entirety was skipped from the dub.
- "Satoshi and Nagetukesaru! Touchdown of Friendship!!" (Episode 1003): The episode was skipped in the dub due to Ash wearing dark face paint resembling blackface (as he is disguised as a Passimian).
Censored in the dub
The following episodes aired in the dub with the scenes cut or modified:
- "Pokémon - I Choose You!" (Episode 1): The scene where Misty slaps Ash across his face was cut.
- "Ash Catches a Pokémon" (Episode 3): The scene where Misty slaps Ash was cut.
- "The School of Hard Knocks" (Episode 9): The scene where Misty smashes Brock with a log was cut.
- Brock saying "She can violate my rights any time!" was cut out of the Kids' WB! airing.
- "All Things Bright and Beautifly!" (Episode 287): All scenes of Jynx (as it was portrayed with black skin) were cut.
- After the Dennō Senshi Porygon incident, the anime was restarted with the effects of flashing lights reduced or eliminated. The 39th episode of the anime aired on April 16, 1998 with the flashing lights removed (and all future episodes).
- The seventh Pikachu short, titled Pikachu & Pichu, is not available on home video or VOD in Japan as the Japanese narrator of the short was arrested for drug possession.
Banned in other countries
- In South Korea, many episodes prior to the Advanced Generation series of episodes were banned due to overt references to Japanese culture.
- "The Bicker the Better" (Episode 346): The episode did not air in some countries because it was believed to unintentionally have a "battle of the sexes format", possibly promoting sexism.
- "Stage Fight!" (Episode 90) and "The Mandarin Island Miss Match" (Episode 99): Not available on Netflix and does not appear on Pokemon.com or Pokémon TV. These are due to scenes of Jynx in its original design.
Where to find it uncensored
The original Japanese version is completely uncensored. Episode 38 is difficult to find due to the episode being banned internationally.
The DVDs are the least censored version.
Fansubs are completely uncensored since they are the raw version of the anime.
- This article is a stub. Please help the Censorship Wiki by expanding it.