Romania is an Eastern European country that primarily worships Orthodoxy. It borders Moldova, Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria and is a member of the European Union. It mainly censors TV shows, notably with more violence and more LGBT content to make more kid-friendly.
This page deals with censorship in Romania in the post-communist era.
In 2008, 40 of pornographic websites were blocked due of many children accessing the websites, however, one website, which it wasn't pornographic, 220.ro, one of the video-sharing websites of Romania, was also blocked. In December 2011, it was lifted.
In 2009, the sport betting websites were blocked due of being illegal, most of them had no government license. In 2013 the Romanian National Gambling Office was formed to regulate and license online gambling in Romania. Some of the websites are currently blocked and it has without a license. Whilst the ONJN deem it illegal to bet on unlicensed sites in Romania they can not restrict access to other informational data present on those sites.
Some of the file-sharing websites, like The Pirate Bay, and free movie streaming websites, like Filme Online, was also blocked by Internet ISPs (either Digi (RCS&RDS), Vodafone, Telekom, Digital Cable Systems (AKTA) or Orange).
In 2010, the online forums are blocked due of containg too much profanity, but later, it was lifted and it was ignored.
As of 2020, none of the websites are blocked, expect for some of the sport betting websites. However, some of the websites, like Google Play Movies & TV, are not available in Romania.
Video Games censorship
Although Romania uses the PEGI rating system, some of the video games are censored, sometimes it uses the edits from other countries, like Australia or Germany, to make it from 18+ rating to either 16+ or 12+ rating, it depends on the content.
- Inspector Gadget - Some of the episodes were banned, but later, it was lifted.
- Mr. Bean: The Animated Series - Seasons 1, 2 and 3 are not dubbed.
- New Looney Tunes - Most of the dialogues were edited, replaced and cut.
- The Tom and Jerry Show - Two episodes were banned due of inappropiate content.
- Adventure Time - Some episodes were banned. Also the violence was toned down, some scenes were removed and lines with crude language was replaced. Sometimes it uses the UK edits.
- The Amazing World of Gumball - One scene was edited and replaced. One episode was also banned, until it was lifted on HBO GO.
- Clarence - One episode was banned, but it was released online instead of being broadcast on TV.
- Johnny Test - One episode was not dubbed and the audio was replaced by an another audio by an another episode, due of the dubbing error.
- Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart - One episode was banned due of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes - One episode was banned due of heavily violence.
- Regular Show - It was censored due of crude language, some of the lines were replaced. Also one episode was banned due of extremely violence and crime.
- Steven Universe - Most of the scenes, including violence, LGBT-related content and crude language was removed.
- Teen Titans - Season 5 was not aired due of heavily murder, violence and crime.
- Teen Titans Go! - The violence was toned down, some of the dialogues were replaced to make more kid-friendly. Some episodes were also banned due of having more violence.
- Uncle Grandpa - The violence was toned down, also two episodes were banned due of having more violence. Cartoon Network CEE did not aired the entire episodes of Season 5, despite airing the finale.
- Yo-kai Watch - The violence was toned down to make more kid-friendly. Also most of the episodes were banned due of heavily violence.
- Nature Cat - Minimax refused to broadcast this show due of unknown reasons.
- Breadwinners - It was originally to air on Nickleodeon CEE, but later it was refused due of unknown reasons. It was later lifted in 2019 by Nicktoons CEE, the series currently airs on Nicktoons CEE..
- The Loud House - The episodes containing LGBT content, such as the episodes with Harold and Howard McBride and Sam, were not aired and banned. As of Season 4, the episodes containing LGBT content, are airing.
- 1981-90: Carnival Scenes - Banned from the personal order of Nicolae Ceaușescu due to violent content.
- 2008: Saw IV - Banned upon release. Later reclassified and prohibited only to minors.
- 2009: Milk - Banned upon release. Later reclassified and prohibited only to under-15s.
- 2014: Nymphomanic Vol. II - Classified by the National Cinema Center's rating commission as a film "forbidden to minors under 18 and banned from public screening" due to explicit content. After outrage at decision in mass media and on social networking websites, the commission allowed cinemas to run the film for audiences over 18.
Currently, there are no books banned in Romania from now on. Sometimes when the book is released in Romania, some of the edits from other countries are used.
Romania also censors other things, not only video games, books, TV shows, movies and the internet.
- During a music being played on airplay in a radio station or a television channel, most of the swear words are censored or replaced to make more appropiate for a younger audience. Sometimes it uses the Malaysian edits.
- Some of the music are also high-pitched during an airplay due of copyright.